You will be aware that a ‘red’ weather warning is now in place in our area for Monday 18th July and Tuesday 19th July. I have received guidance from both the local authority and government, regarding the impact of this in school and am writing to you regarding the measures that will be in place during this period to look after the children during the heatwave.
Please note that we are NOT being advised to close for these days.
- The main risk for children as a result of heat is dehydration, so we would ask that children bring a filled water bottle to school. They will be encouraged to drink frequently throughout the day and will have plenty of opportunities to refill.
- There will be no PE on either of these days, to ensure children can remain as cool as possible.
- Time outside will be limited and children will be encouraged to spend most of their time in the shade. Vigorous physical activity such as football and running around will not take place. Children will have the option to remain inside, should they wish to.
- We have been advised that children should wear light, loose fitting clothing. There is therefore no need for children to wear school uniform for Monday / Tuesday. If your child will be coming to school in non-uniform, please ensure that he/she is wearing suitable clothing to keep cool. Wide brimmed hats are also recommended.
- Please apply sun cream (at least factor 15 with UVA protection) before school; this can then be sent into school (labelled please) for reapplication during the day. Please be aware that anyone not wearing sun cream will not be able to play outside.
- Classroom windows will be opened as early as possible, to ensure heat that has been stored can escape from the building. They will, however, be closed when the outside air becomes warmer than the air indoors. Blinds will also remain closed during the hottest part of the day. Use of electrical lighting and equipment will be kept to a minimum.
Government guidance in relation to this can be found here.
I would like to reassure you that staff will monitor children throughout the hottest days and plans / activities will be adapted based on this. I am attaching a copy of our Sun Safety Policy, for information.
Please get in touch if you have any questions or concerns.